These villages now merge together because of considerable tourist development, with a multitude of gift shops, tavernas and sandy beaches. There are also supermarkets, bakeries, banks and petrol stations in this area. The old village of Platanias is on the hill set behind the newer development. The old village is very quaint, with traditional white-washed houses and lovely views. Platanias is mentioned in Venetian inventories as Platanea. Opposite Platanias is the island of St. Theodori, or Thodorou (it can be seen very clearly to the West of the Panorama Hotel). This is a rock island, which in antiquity was known as Akition, which means place unsuitable for inhabitaion. During the Venetian dominion in 1574 it was fortified to stop the Turks landing at Platanias. They built 2 multi- angled fortresses and a three-aisled chapel. Today it serves as a sanctuary for the rare Cretan mountain goat, The Kri-Kri. The best taverna in the area is located on the main road through Platanias and is called “Mylos”. Platanias and Agia Marina have long sandy beaches and the most extensive water sports on the north west coast including water skiing, paragliding, and scuba diving. The nightlife is lively with many luxury nightclubs dotted along the shoreline, as well as some more laidback bars. Only 2 minutes from the National Highway and 20 minutes from Chania.